Sunday 28 April 2013

Longer days?? Discuss.....!!

So hot in the news the last week was Michael Gove's proposal to extend the school day, as though that will sort out under achievement of every kind! I agree with the views of many, many other educational bloggers, whose opinions I have been interested in finding out.... get the time in school right; put outstanding teachers in front of the kids, embed robust systems to manage behaviour, make learning fun, invest in parental engagement and support and there really, really, really should be no need, surely?? Parents views would be interesting to hear on this one.
I too am a parent and from that perspective, I would oppose the extended day partially for the very same reasons. Also, I want my children to have time to pursue other interests and (heaven forbid) have some time to relax and reflect on their day! Childhood is precious and although we all want the best for our kids (including the receipt of strong academic standards), I think it is important to make the most of the time we have with our children outside of school hours; family values may suffer as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment